Thursday, June 25, 2009

Those darn shortsighted re-enactors

I Had to work today. Didn't get to drive the nice truck, but it was at least a short day. Tomorrow we leave for Ticonderoga. I will have to finish up the handwork in the car on the way. I will post pictures of the event and our costumes when I get back. We get back on Sunday night, and I should be able to get pictures up no later than Tuesday, hopefully. Next week is shaping up to be pretty busy as well.

I don't know what it is about us re-enactors but we all seem to be really shortsighted. It seems that the week before an event we all decide we need new costume pieces, and therefore are sewing like mad up until the last minute. (and when I say last minute, I mean LAST minute) It is not just me either. I know many people who have been caught doing this.

Today at work, I think I made a poor driver feel insecure in his "man-hood". I drive a 22 wheeler tanker vehicle and deliver gas to gas stations. The little oil trucks, like the kind that come to your house we refer to in the business as "peddle trucks" (the peddle from door to door) Well, I was talking to a peddle truck driver down where we fill our trucks up (we call them the racks) and I couldn't see if there was still another peddle truck under the rack, so I asked the driver I was chatting with if he could see if the little truck had moved out yet. That poor guy immediately started justifying why he drove a little truck himself and why he liked it. (something about weight lifting and getting into shape...) I just don't understand why some guys think they have something to prove by the size of their truck. Maybe it is just that "boys and their toys" thing. I mean, I like trucks and all, and the bigger the better, but if I can't drive the biggest and best of them, I don't feel a lesser person for that. Ah well, I guess I shouldn't over analyze it. One would think I should be used to it by now.

I must get to bed now, for I have a full day ahead of me. So until I come home again, that's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable costumes! And yes, on the deciding at the last minute to create something new to wear. I've lost track of the number of times I've been sewing down buttons in the car on the way. Or for that matter, the number of times I've safety pinned the buttons on from the back, and sewed them down after the event. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers